Nonresident Alien - General (2004 IRS FAQ)

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Revision as of 18:11, 12 January 2007 by Deback (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

IRS FAQ 13.4 Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad: Nonresident Alien - General

I live in a foreign country. How do I get a social security number for my dependent who qualifies for a social security card?

Use Form SS-5-FS which may be obtained from the Social Security Administration .


My spouse is a nonresident alien. How can I get a nonworking social security number for her?

Each foreign person who does not have and cannot obtain a social security number must use an IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on any U.S. tax return or refund claim filed. For additional information on ITINs click on Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.



Personal tools