Publication 514

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Revision as of 18:41, 1 April 2007 by FrankF (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

You Are Here: Main Page > Tax Research Resources > Forms & Publications > Publication 514

Foreign Tax Credit for Individuals


If you paid or accrued foreign taxes to a foreign country on foreign source income and are subject to U.S. tax on the same income, you may be able to take either a credit or an itemized deduction for those taxes. Taken as a deduction, foreign income taxes reduce your U.S. taxable income. Taken as a credit, foreign income taxes reduce your U.S. tax liability.

In most cases, it is to your advantage to take foreign income taxes as a tax credit. The major scope of this publication is the foreign tax credit.

The publication discusses:

  • How to choose to take the credit or the deduction,
  • Who can take the credit,
  • What foreign taxes qualify for the credit,
  • How to figure the credit, and
  • How to carry over unused foreign taxes to other tax years.

Unless you choose not to be subject to the foreign tax credit limit, you claim the credit by filing Form 1116 with your U.S. income tax return. Two examples with filled-in Forms 1116 are provided at the end of this publication.


Personal tools