Nontaxable Income

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Revision as of 20:52, 13 January 2007 by Deback (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Some types of income you receive are not taxable. When you total your gross income to determine whether you are required to file a tax return, do not include your nontaxable income. You should keep records of your nontaxable income. Some types of income that generally are not taxable include:
  1. Child support payments,
  2. Welfare benefits,
  3. Life insurance proceeds received because of the death of an individual,
  4. Interest on certain state or local government obligations,
  5. Accident and health insurance proceeds, including certain long term care insurance contracts,
  6. Certain property received as a gift or inheritance,
  7. Benefits received under any law administered by the Department of Veteran's Affairs,
  8. Amounts received under a worker's compensation act for an occupational sickness or injury,
  9. Qualified distributions from Coverdell Education Savings Accounts (formerly called Education IRAs); refer to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) for more information,
  10. Certain Roth IRA distributions; refer to Roth IRA Distributions for more information,
  11. Certain amounts withdrawn from Medical Savings Accounts (MSA's) to pay medical expenses, and
  12. Limited amounts of dependent care assistance paid through a dependent care assistance program.
  13. Death gratuity benefits paid to survivors of deceased armed forces members for deaths occurring after September 10, 2001.
  14. Homeowners assistance program payments, subject to certain limits, paid after November 11, 2003, by the Department of Defense.
  15. For tax years after 2002, Dependent Care Assistance Program paid by the military for military personnel.

All or a portion of your Social Security or equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits may be nontaxable. Refer to Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits for more information.

Some scholarship and fellowship grants may be non-taxable. For more information, refer to Scholarship and Fellowship Grants, Scholarship and Fellowship Grants.

Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, contains additional information on whether specific items of income are taxed.


Personal tools