From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search
S This user is a Silver Level Contributor on TaxAlmanac
(over 500 edits as of 7/7/10)

EA This user is an Enrolled Agent.

Forum Award
This user has been recognized as a top contributor of high-quality replies in the TaxAlmanac Discussion Forum.
View all Communities & Designations



When I moved to England thirteen years ago, I discovered that about half of the Americans living abroad are not filing their annual tax returns. If your income is small, that may be of little consequence, as penalties are based on balance due. But if you're a high income earner, or if you own a business, the penalties can be steep. There are penalties for not reporting foreign bank accounts - these start at $10,000 per account per year, and ratchet up to 20% or even 50% of the account value. And if you are a primary shareholder of a corporation or a primary partner in a partnership, you may face penalties of $10,000 per entity for not filing reports about your company or firm.


British American Tax provides full service tax advice and preparation for Americans living abroad and for foreign nationals with US interests. I am the Managing Director and an Enrolled Agent with over 25 years of US tax experience.

We specialise in US tax for corporations, partnerships, trusts, and individuals doing business on both side of the ocean. Whether it is handling compliance, IRS inquiries, or helping you with tax planning, we would be more than happy to help.

I am a member of: the Association of Independant Expatriate Tax Practioners (AIETP in the UK), the European American Tax Institute (E-ATI in the UK), the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB in the UK), British American Business (BAB in the UK), the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA in the US), and the National Association of Tax Preparers (NATP in the US).

Over 90% of our new business comes to us from referrals. Why not find out for yourself how easy it is to give your problem clients to us?


I serve on the FSB London Policy Unit, helping influence Whitehall to keep in mind the needs of small and micro businesses. I serve on the Government Relations Committee for the NAEA.

If you're ever in London, please join me for dinner or come out to the pub with me. If you're lucky, it'll be karaoke night... Before I became an accountant, I sang for my supper.

In the romance department, I'm looking for a good hedge fund manager or other equally suitable sophisticated next sweetheart. Previous winners of the "I dated Liz" contest include a MacArthur Fellowship winner, several MIT graduates, CFO of a major British corporation, sons of diplomats, one of those names that scroll by in the screen credits at the ends of movies, and quaint analysis dudes.

Formerly, I was Secretary of the Greater London Region of the FSB from 2009 - 2010. I was an active member of BAB's Taxation Forum for 2009 - 2010.

You can contact me through


British American Tax is the trading name of American Tax UK, Ltd. American Tax UK Ltd. is registered in England No. 5638971. VAT Registration No. 867 7436 71. Registered office 8 Forest View, London E11 3AP.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) avoiding tax-related penalties under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein

Personal tools