Rental Expenses v Passive Activity Losses (PALs) (2004 IRS FAQ)

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

IRS FAQ 11.2 Sale or Trade of Business, Depreciation, Rentals: Rental Expenses v Passive Activity Losses (PALs)

I purchased a rental property last year. What closing costs can I deduct?

The only deductible closing costs are those for interest, and deductible real estate taxes. Other settlement fees and closing costs for buying the property become additions to your basis in the property. These basis adjustments include:
  • Abstract fees,
  • Charges for installing utility services,
  • Legal fees,
  • Recording fees,
  • Surveys,
  • Transfer taxes,
  • Title insurance, and
  • Any amounts the seller owes that you agree to pay, such as back taxes or interest, recording or mortgage fees, charges for improvements or repairs, and sales commissions.
  • Fees related to obtaining a loan are capital expenses and should be amortized over the life of the loan.
For additional information, refer to Publication 527, Residential Rental Property, Publication 17, Your Individual Income Tax Guide, and Publication 535, Business Expenses. References:

Can you deduct Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) premiums on rental property? If so, which line item on Schedule E?

Yes. You can deduct Private Mortgage Insurance premium on line 9 of Form 1040, Schedule E (PDF), Supplemental Income and Loss. Write "PMI" on the dotted line.



Personal tools