Publication 919

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

You Are Here: Main Page > Tax Research Resources > Forms & Publications > Publication 919

How Do I Adjust My Tax Withholding?


The federal income tax is a pay-as-you-go tax. This means you must pay the tax as you earn or receive income during the year.

As a wage earner, you pay federal income tax by having it withheld from your pay during the year. This is your "withholding." Your withholding is based on the number of allowances you claim when you file Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, with your employer.

The purpose of this publication is to help you check your withholding and, if necessary, prepare Form W-4 to adjust your withholding. When you first begin a job, you must complete a Form W-4 and give it to your employer to establish your initial withholding. You can adjust your withholding by giving a new Form W-4 to your employer at any time.

For more detailed information about Form W-4, see chapter 1 of Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.


Personal tools