Nonresident Alien - Tax Withholding (2004 IRS FAQ)

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

IRS FAQ 13.5 Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad: Nonresident Alien - Tax Withholding

Under my visa as a temporary nonresident alien, I'm not subject to social security and Medicare withholding. My employer withheld the taxes from my pay. What should I do to get a refund of my social security and Medicare?

If social security tax and Medicare were withheld in error from pay received which was not subject to the taxes, you must first contact the employer who withheld the taxes for reimbursement. If you are unable to get a refund from the employer, file a claim for refund with the Internal Revenue Service on Form 843 (PDF), Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement.

You must attach the following to your claim:
  • a copy of your Form W-2 (PDF), Wage and Tax Statement, to prove the amount of tax withheld;
  • Form I-797, INS Approval Notice, is needed if you have changed your status from F-1 or J-1 to another status prior to filing the claim;
  • if your visa status changed during the tax year you should attach copies of the pay stubs that cover the period of exemption from social security taxes;
  • a copy of INS Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, if you are still in the United States;
  • a copy of your valid entry visa;
  • Form 8316, Information Regarding Request for Refund of Social Security Tax, , or a signed statement stating that you have requested a refund from the employer and have not been able to obtain one; and
  • a copy of Form 1040NR (PDF) , US Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return (or Form 1040NR-EZ (PDF)), for tax the year in question. Processing of your claim may be delayed if you submit it less than six weeks after you filed Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.
In addition to the documentation listed above foreign student visa holders should also attach the following:
  • a copy of Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility, endorsed by your student advisor and stamped by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services; and
  • a copy of the Employment Authorization Document of your Optional Practical Training (e.g., Form I-766, I-538 or 688B).
  • if you are an exchange visitor, attach a copy of Form IAP-66 or DS-2019 to your claim.

File the claim, with attachments, with the IRS where the employer's returns were filed. If you do not know where the employer's returns were filed, send your claim to the Internal Revenue Service Center, Philadelphia, PA 19255.

For more information, refer to Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens .



Personal tools