Filing Requirements (2004 IRS FAQ)

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

IRS FAQ 2.1 Filing Requirements/Status/Dependents/Exemptions: Filing Requirements

How much does a student have to make before he or she has to file an income tax return?

If you are an unmarried dependent, you must file a tax return for 2004 if you have earned income of more than $4,850, unearned income of more than $800, or if your gross income is more than $800 and exceeds your earned income by more than $250. If part of your earned income is from tips, see Tips, Tips .

Even if you do not have to file, you should file a federal income tax return to get money back if any of the following apply:
  1. You had income tax withheld from your pay.
  2. You qualify for the earned income credit.
  3. You qualify for the additional child tax credit.
Refer to Publication 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction and Filing Information, for an explanation of the five exemption tests and filing requirement rules.

For additional information see Tax Information for Students



Personal tools