Farming and Fishing Income

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

General Information

If you have income from your farming or fishing business, you may be able to avoid making any estimated tax payments by filing your return and paying your entire tax due on or before March 1st of the year your return is due. This rule generally applies if at least 2/3 of your total gross income was made from farming or fishing in either the current or the preceding year. If March 1st falls on a weekend or legal holiday, you have until the next business day to file and pay tax.

If you choose not to file by March 1st, you can make a single estimated tax payment by January 15th to avoid an estimated tax penalty. If these special rules do not apply, you may have to make quarterly estimated tax payments. Refer to Estimated Tax for information on estimated tax payments. For more information on estimated tax, refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

Income and expenses from farming are reported on Schedule F. Additionally, self-employment tax may be required if net earnings from farming are $400 or more. Self-employment tax is figured on Schedule SE. For additional information, refer to Self-Employment Tax, Self-Employment Tax. For more information on farming, refer to Publication 225, Farmer's Tax Guide.

Income and expenses from fishing are reported on either Schedule C or Form 1040, Schedule C-EZ (PDF). Fishermen also may be required to file Schedule SE figure self-employment tax if their net earnings from fishing are $400 or more. For additional information refer to Sole Proprietorship , or to Publication 595, Tax Highlights for Commercial Fishermen.


Related Topics

Other Forms

Personal tools