Discussion:Withholding tax on profit from sale of property by non resident alien

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> Withholding tax on profit from sale of property by non resident alien

Hari (talk|edits) said:

26 November 2005
I am a non-resident alien residing outside the United States. I bought property ( a condo ) in Menlo Park , CA and sold it recently for a profit . The Escrow agency has deducted tax and paid that to the IRS and has informed me that I could claim refund of the withholding tax from IRS . I need to know how I can go about this .

Thanks , Hari

Jamshed (talk|edits) said:

26 November 2005
As a nonresident of the US your gains are taxable in the US. It would seem that you would have to file a federal form 1040 NR and a Ca form 540NR and report the gain and apply the withholding against the tax due. What you would need to perhaps consider treaty ramifications if any, between your tax resident country and the US.
Hope this helps.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools