Discussion:Trust return-which state to file?

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Advanced Tax Questions --> Trust return-which state to file?

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> Trust return-which state to file?

Abctaxes (talk|edits) said:

11 April 2014
Mother had money in her revocable trust in NY. She dies and leaves her 3 children monies from the trust into 3 individual trusts for their benefit. The attorney supplied me with the Federal ID#s. The children live in state other than NY. Do I file trust return for the children's resident state or NYS? I would think their resident state?

Dennis (talk|edits) said:

12 April 2014
If mother was domiciled in NY when she died, the trust is a NY resident trust. It is entirely possible that the trust is also resident in another state as well.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools