Discussion:New meal and snack allowances

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> New meal and snack allowances

DR BRISKET (talk|edits) said:

4 January 2007
Does anyone know if the IRS has published any updated rates for meal and snack allowances that child day care providers may use? The latest I can find are the 2005 rates. Thanks for any help. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming tax season. I can't believe its here already!!

Tdoyle (talk|edits) said:

January 4, 2007
It looks as though the 2005 rates were in Publication 587. I found a 2006 draft version of this publication here, but it is minimal and no new rates are listed.

- Tim Doyle, TaxAlmanac Moderator - Talk to me 14:18, 4 January 2007 (CST)

Riley2 (talk|edits) said:

4 January 2007
I believe that the USDA has the new rates. See http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/ProgramBasics/Rates/ReimbursementRates_Current.htm

DR BRISKET (talk|edits) said:

4 January 2007
Tdoyle & Riley2: thanks for your input. In looking at this closer, the USDA actually publishes their rates to coincide with the government's fiscal year of 7/1 through 6/30. It does not appear to me that the rates changed on 7/1/2006, at least for Tier 1 providers in all states except Alaska & Hawaii. This will at least make it simple to figure the allowed deduction for 2006 returns. Thanks again.

Riley2 (talk|edits) said:

5 January 2007
For 2006, the Rev. Proc. says to use the rates in effect on 12/31/05, meaning the rates published by the USDA for 7/05 through 7/06. The 2006 rates are slightly higher than the 2005 rates.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools