Discussion:New York - Missing W-2

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> New York - Missing W-2

Supdat (talk|edits) said:

27 July 2011
To New York tax preparers: I am filing a delinquent tax return for a client for 2008. He does not have his W-2. I got the Wage and Income transcript from the IRS by filing 4506-T, but it does not have any state information. Does anyone know how to get this information from New York? I can't find anything on the NY website.

DJCCPA (talk|edits) said:

29 July 2011
I have a similar situation with a PA client. I had them execute a POA for the state which I've sent in - I will then request the information of state wages/taxes withheld from them. It's a good opportunity for me to talk to them on behalf of my client anyway to show that their taxes are in the process of getting cleaned up.

Nightsnorkeler (talk|edits) said:

29 July 2011
I don't know about NY or PA, but IL allows you to file a substitute W-2 based on information obtained from an IRS transcript. Although the transcript does not show state tax withheld, IL further allows us to "assume" that the amount of state tax withheld equals the amount of state tax that would have been withheld using the same W-4 status and allowances used to calculate the federal withholding.

Perhaps your states have similar regulations?

CrowCPA (talk|edits) said:

29 July 2011
Several years ago I did exactly what Nightsnorkeler suggests. It was even on a delinquent NY return. I did not have any regulation to point to, just the knowledge that the tax department in NY would make the correction. It worked, but that was at least ten years ago.

Uncle Sam (talk|edits) said:

29 July 2011
If you have the W-2 showing the employer's state ID#, why not try the Withholding Tax unit or Dep't of Labor where the quarterly joint unemployment insurance/withholding forms are filed. The quarterly form is Form NYS-45. The 4th quarter asks for the total state withholding BY EMPLOYEE.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools