Discussion:ITIN Question

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Basic Tax Questions --> ITIN Question

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> ITIN Question

Agham12 (talk|edits) said:

23 April 2014
Non resident client

Client opened a Delaware LLC and a bank account when he was in USA. Also got an EIN. Went back to his country i.e. Indonesia and operates his online business from there.

Now he has some business activity for Nov and Dec 2013 and wants to file a 1040NR/Sch C for his LLC. How can we get ITIN? If I file W7 with the 2013 taxes, does he need to send his identification documents? Since he is not in USA, how to manage this? Also, there are no IRS acceptance agents in his country.

Does anyone has experience with this? From the instructions of W7, it seems to me that if he can get his passport etc. notarized by the US embassy in his country, the IRS will accept it and will issue the ITIN.

Norman-tx (talk|edits) said:

24 April 2014
No experience in this area, but here's an IRS article that might be helpful.


Mscash (talk|edits) said:

26 April 2014
File a paper return with Form W-9 attached.

Tax Writer (talk|edits) said:

26 April 2014
If I file W7 with the 2013 taxes, does he need to send his identification documents?

Since the activity has already begun, and he has a filing requirement, the easiest solution is to send the Form w-7 with the return along with original documents, which will be returned to the client. I manage a mailing list of overseas authors and I have heard of several rejections when the IRS receives only notarized copies, any administrative help at the ITIN unit is basically nonexistent. That being said, I got the ITIN for one client this year without any problems, it took about 2 months, sent the application with the return and got the ITIN letter back and the original docs were shipped back to the client in a separate envelope.

Here is my online article on the subject (it was written a few years ago, so some of the information is dated). [1] THere's a link to an acceptance agent if the taxpayer wants to use them. (I am not affiliated with the acceptance agent, but I'm not taking any new clients, so, it's there as a referral only).

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools