Discussion:E-filed 1040 - Applied overpayment to '09 in error

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> Advanced Tax Questions --> E-filed 1040 - Applied overpayment to '09 in error

Discussion Forum Index --> Tax Questions --> E-filed 1040 - Applied overpayment to '09 in error

Barbara (talk|edits) said:

4 April 2009
My client had a large overpayment on her 2008 return, and we intended to apply some of it to 2009 and have the rest refunded. Somehow I goofed when I efiled it, and it went in asking for the entire amount to go to 2009. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to fix this - the client really needs that refund! Should we file an amended return? Should I get a POA and contact the IRS to request a change? Anybody know the best way to straighten this out? Thanks for any suggestions.

Trillium (talk|edits) said:

4 April 2009
There have been discussions in the past about this - try the search if you want to see 'em - and the bottom line is that you (and your client) are out of luck. Once done, cannot be undone.

Ooh - here's a good one, has cites, suggestions, and more! ==> Applied refund but now want it back

DZCPA (talk|edits) said:

5 April 2009
Call your malpractice insurance provider or give your client a loan. You have a big problem. I never had any luck asking for money back from those "bad boys".

Riley2 (talk|edits) said:

6 April 2009
The regs say that the election to apply the overpayment is irrevocable. However, I am not sure that the overpayment has been applied yet.

Deback (talk|edits) said:

April 6, 2009
I would think the overpayment was applied to 2009 at the time the efiled return was accepted by the IRS.

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools