Discussion:Accepted part time work but.......

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

Discussion Forum Index --> General Chat --> Accepted part time work but.......

Masscpa (talk|edits) said:

23 November 2010
I have accepted a part time position with a CPA firm in Rhode Island, but the hourly rate is a little low because of employee status (the employee v independent contractor issue) and payroll taxes. What if I proposed using my Corporation, could they then pay the Corp and I pay the taxes?


Lizzit (talk|edits) said:

23 November 2010
I assume they set the hours, the work, the specifications, the location, the programmes you will be using, and you can not substitute someone else to perform your work in your stead. You are therefore an employee. Pretending you're not doesn't fool the IRS if either you, your corporation, or your boss were audited.

Your risk of getting caught/audited is pretty dang small. But the consequences of your actions (losing your CPA license) are massive. I wouldn't risk it.

Masscpa (talk|edits) said:

23 November 2010
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I cover all my bases. So an employee it is!!

Death&Taxes (talk|edits) said:

23 November 2010
It is ironic that several Fortune 100 companies will 'hire' retirees back but only if they form a corporation, and usually to do the same work they did while working.

Szptax (talk|edits) said:

23 November 2010
yes and until 2011 no 1099 for corps so no issue with the same person getting a 1099 & a W-2

To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.
Personal tools