Change of Address - How to Notify IRS

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

If you have moved or your address has changed, you need to notify the IRS to ensure you receive any IRS refund or correspondence. You may provide your new address in a variety of ways. You may correct the address legibly on the mailing label from your tax package or write the new address on your return when you file. When your return is processed, we will update your records.

If you change your address after filing your return, you should notify your post office that services your old address. This ensures your mail will be forwarded (not all post offices forward government checks). To change your address with the IRS, complete a Form 8822 (PDF), Address Change Request. This is available on the IRS website at

You may also write to the campus where you filed your last return and provide your new address. (The campus addresses are listed in the instructions to the tax forms.)

If you correspond to inform us of your address change, we need your full name, old and new — addresses, and your Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and signature. If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information and signatures for both spouses.

If you filed a joint return and you and/or your spouse establish separate residences, you both should notify the IRS of your new address.

Note: The U.S. Postal Service provides the IRS with change of address updates weekly. Tax forms will be mailed to the last address provided by the taxpayer or the Change of Address information furnished by the Postal Service.


Personal tools