To join in on this discussion, you must first log in.

Businesses (2004 IRS FAQ)

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

IRS FAQ 9.1 Estimated Tax: Businesses

Is an S-Corporation required to pay quarterly estimated tax?

Generally, the corporation must make estimated tax payments for the following taxes if the total of these taxes is $500 or more:
  1. the tax on certain capital gains,
  2. the tax on built-in gains,
  3. the excess net passive income tax, and
  4. the investment credit recapture tax.

For more information regarding estimated tax, refer to Form 1120S Instructions, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation, page 5 and Publication 542, Corporations, page 4.


How do partnerships file and pay quarterly estimated tax payments ?

Partnerships file Form 1065 (PDF), U.S. Partnership Return of Income, to report income and expenses. The partnership passes the information to the individual partners on Schedule K-1, Form 1065. The partners report the information and pay any taxes due on Form 1040. Because partners are not employees of the partnership, no withholding is taken out of their distributions to pay the income and self-employment taxes on their Forms 1040. The partners may need to pay Estimated Tax Payments using Form 1040-ES.

Refer to Form 1065 Instructions, U.S. Partnership Return of Income and Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax for additional information.



Personal tools