1099 Information Returns (All Other) (2004 IRS FAQ)

From TaxAlmanac, A Free Online Resource for Tax Professionals
Note: You are using this website at your own risk, subject to our Disclaimer and Website Use and Contribution Terms.

From TaxAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search

IRS FAQ 4.4 Interest/Dividends/Other Types of Income: 1099 Information Returns (All Other)

I received a Form 1099-G, for my state tax refund. Do I have to include this amount as income on my return?

If you did not itemize your deductions on your Federal tax return for the same year as the state or local tax refund applies to, do not report any of the refund as income.

If you itemized deductions on your Federal tax return for 2003, and received a refund of state or local taxes in 2004, you may have to include all or part of the refund as income on your 2004 tax return. Report your taxable State or Local Refunds on Form 1040, Line 10. You cannot use Form 1040A or 1040EZ. Refer to Refunds of State and Local Taxes, Refund of State and Local Taxes , and Publication 525 , Taxable and Nontaxable Income , for further information.


Source: IRS.gov

Personal tools